Friday, December 11, 2009

Day 10 - Hark Herald the Bunny Sings

The 10th Day of my 31 days of art postings and 12 Days of Christmas Exchange is all about the announcement of exciting things to come.

Remembering a Dream

Many months ago I was contacted by Lesley Riley asking if I would be interested in doing an interview with her for the Artist to Artist article she does in each issue of Cloth Paper Scissors and I have been eager to announce the news ever since!

This is truly a dream for me. Part of a bigger dream to become an artist "When I grow up", but as with many childhood dreams, it was put away and forgot about over the years. Covered over with layer upon layer of being who I needed to be to take care of the life that I had.

Over the years art remained a lifeline for me. Something I would turn to when everything else in life seemed to be so uncertain, so frightening or overwhelming and chaotic. Whatever the project was I had in my hand, it became an island of calm. And when I worked at whatever it was I was creating, sewing, beading, or crafting, the dream would stir and I would find myself thinking of ways I could turn what I was doing into a business. Just little sparks of thought.

To be able to do art full time. To be an artist. Wistful. Wishful Thinking.

Well the dream has begun to take shape as a reality these past few years as I have begun the journey of uncovering my true self and looking into the past to discover my future. Hard work to turn around and face some of it, but without this work I would not have remembered this childhood dream of mine. I would not have been able to peel away the layers, the self-protective mask and realize who I was meant to be.

I get to talk about some of this in the interview with Lesley, which focuses largely on my passion for encaustic collage and on the objects that I love to collect and sell. I am so excited to announce the issue is now available for pre-order and will be hitting store shelves on January 5th. Check it out at CPS and see for yourself, my name next to the very talented Lesley Riley's ~ Wow! What a dream!!

and speaking of growing up to be a real artist....

♪ ♫ on the 10th day of Christmas Kelly Snelling gave to me ♫ ♪

A festive package to put under my tree! Now Kelly's package was one of those that invited shaking as soon as it arrived in the mail, I should have taken a picture of the outside of the carton. You'll have to be sure to read Kelly's post about it and see the artsy way she adorned the box and the message to be careful not to squish she wrote on each one for the postman.

As I pulled the shiny blue gift out of the box I could hear a jingling inside and I shook it. Rewarded by more jingling I shook it more and before I knew it I was shaking my way around the kitchen jingling and dancing and singing. I had to make myself put it down not knowing if it was breakable, but I was having so much fun!

Knowing the quality of work that Kelly produces and the fact that she warned the group that her ornament was kind of "quirky" made waiting for the 10th day of the exchange a challenge, but wait I did, and when I finally got to open it I laughed out loud!

Laughed and laughed! I was delighted with laughter!

Kelly this is another one that I will cherish as a "favorite among favorites" of all the years of swapping I've been involved in!


Just look at that worried expression on his white enameled face! Is he worried from his flight? or from all that shaking upon his arrival? or the many days of waiting to come out of that pakage? Bunny Rabbit, what are you so worried about? Kelly has invited each of the artists in the swap to come up with a story of their own for why she sent us rabbits for a Christmas swap.

First my thoughts turned to the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, running past Alice with his large pocket watch in hand worriedly announcing "I'm late, I'm late", and of course I could relate to that because I always seem to be running late. Even this blog post is going up a day late! Maybe Kelly was letting us know, through her ornament that she was worried about being late?

But after giving it some more thought this morning I knew there was something else about this rabbit. Something he was trying to say. It is kind of unusual, you know, to hang a white rabbit on a Christmas tree. Especially one who looks like he would be much more at home as part of a Spring time Easter display. And that is when it hit me!

He is an Easter bunny
and he did have something important to say!

I thought of the traditional Easter Bunny widely viewed as a symbol to announce the arrival of Spring. And then the Christian tradition of incorporating this symbol and the eggs that he would bring as a way of sharing the story of Christ who would die on the cross as the ultimate sacrifice and rise again from the tomb. Conquering the grave and paying the penalty for the sins of all who would come to him. I thought then of John the baptist, a forerunner of Jesus, who came to announce and point to the coming of The Messiah.

And just as I was about to name him "John" in recognition of his forerunner spirit, coming to me at Christmas to announce the impending birth of Christ, I heard in my head the song "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and I thought of that star on his bell and then thought of those Angels who came to the shepherds in the field announcing Christs birth along with the star that shone above Bethlehem and it all became clear.

His name is Herald:
  • announce: foreshadow or presage
  • acclaim: praise vociferously; "The critics hailed the young pianist as a new Rubinstein"
  • (formal) a person who announces important news; "the chieftain had a herald who announced his arrival with a trumpet"
  • hail: greet enthusiastically or joyfully
  • harbinger: something that precedes and indicates the approach of something or someone
And that worried look really was about being late. After all, when he arrived I did spin him around and around my kitchen until he was so dizzy he couldn't see straight, let alone remember what day it was!

Don't worry Herald, you aren't late. You are right on time.

♫ ♪ Hark Harold the Bunny sings ♪ ♫ Glory to the newborn King ♫ ♪

7 comments:

  1. Hark the Hearald bunny...ha! Congratulations to you, Crystal. I'm so happy for you! You deserve the kind of recognition a "real" artist gets because you are a real artist! Whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Crystal! Such exciting news!
    I love "Remembering a Dream".

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh your post has made me giggle and tear up and smile all at the same time. you are such a special, big-hearted, loving girl. thank you for your sweet words on my ornie. it means so much to me that he has given you Joy! biggest hugs from me to you (and herald! such a perfect name!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the your news..
    I love the bunny and the stories that goes with him..Sweet Herald

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant name for your Christmas bunny!!
    Congrats on your super exciting news about your interview with Leslie Reilly! I'm a subscriber so I'll see it as soon as it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of this stuff! I have a piece that's veryy similiar to this style of art on my wall. Currently I am torn becasue I have a broken double bass and I plan to cut it to do something art wise with it so I can display it on my wall. But can't decided what I should do. Haha wierd, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!
    _____________________________

    Mythology Dissertation

    ReplyDelete