Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Studio Spotlight with Guest Artist Patricia Oblack

Over the course of ten Wednesday's join me in welcoming 10 guest artists as they share a glimpse into the spaces that foster their creative process. One of our ten guest bloggers referred to the artist's studio as "Sacred Space", and indeed it is just that for me. Working in the silence of my own studio is the place I am most easily able to connect to my Creator. As our guest artists share images of their own sacred spaces, they tell a bit of their creative process through the answers to four simple questions. Read about the artist in their bio and then explore the links each one will provide to get to know them a little more.

I have a deep admiration for artists who do abstract painting well, and Patricia Oblack is one of those artists who does abstract very well! Her color palette, the use of the knife to apply the paint, the layering and depth she achieves, all work together to pull me in and speak to my senses. If ever I am able to fulfill my dream of collecting art for my own home, Patricia's paintings are on my short list. I am thrilled that she was eager to share a glimpse into her studio with us!

Patricia Oblack Studio Spotlight
What is your favorite time of the day to create & why?  I am a very early riser & prefer to paint when the house is empty. My favorite time is around 7a.m., by then, I've brewed my coffee, checked emails & the light in the studio is coming through the window, my music is playing, the paint sticks come out & the process begins.
Patricia Oblack Studio Spotlight
What do you love most about your studio?  My studio is in my home, the space is large by some standards, very efficient & comfortable. The carpet has become a wipe rag for my knives, cabinets from my former kitchen hug the back walls, giving me tons of storage & my painting table is on casters, for movement towards the light. The table & it's exact height, is by far, the best thing in the room.

Patricia Oblack Studio Spotlight
What can always be found in your work space?  Stir sticks, knives & gallon cans of paint are the necessary tools, music on my iMac is essential & sometimes, Lucy keeps watch from her perch.

Patricia Oblack Studio Spotlight
What dream supply would you purchase if money were no issue? Actually, I have just about everything I need. This little room never lets me down, it's just about perfect. It's so easy to come in & work through a piece with no real distractions, then walk out while the paint dries. I have no desire to move away from my current style or approach to art. I'm very comfortable as I am. But recently, I've been considering flat files for painting on paper & as of this writing I have since acquired a sizable oak set of  drawers. I am blessed.
Patricia Oblack Studio Spotlight

About Patricia
Patricia’s work for the past 20 yrs., has been greatly influenced by 
music, a palette knife & their relationship with every piece, which 
forms the glue that collects her thoughts and emotions onto the surface 
of every board. Each painting has an intended suggestion of crumbling 
fresco, through line and form, just short of definition or reference to 
land and cityscapes. When painting, she keeps close watch on the 
evolution, encouraging it to grow, while allowing for spontaneity & 
color structure. During her personal process, only the emotional output 
of creative energy, being guided through the knife, creates the end 
result of controlled magic.

 http://patriciaoblack.com
 http://abstracthinker.tumblr.com
 http://www.blurb.com/b/196889-patricia-oblack

10 comments:

  1. I'm so thrilled to be showcased on your blog & that you love the work, thank you so very much. There is really nothing complicated about my process, which has evolved from a lifetime of holding a pencil, a brush, needle & thread, crayons to colored pencils, carving tools & finally the palette knife. I trust my internal voice & a good sense for balance to be the final judge on every piece. Again Crystal, thank you so very much!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the peek inside your studio and your process Patricia! I'm so happy to have you featured here!

      Delete
    2. Stop by anytime, for coffee or better yet....wine!!!!!!!! :p

      Delete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous work! ~swoon~
    Great interview. Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree! Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
  3. I love the sense of contentment that shines through Patricia's art and words!
    What a treat to be so happy with your space and process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - there is a quality about her, studio, art, self, that just exudes satisfaction and joy. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment!

      Delete
  4. I have loved Patricia's work for a very long time and it is great to see shots of where she creates her magical pieces! Thanks to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a true pleasure to feature her!

      Delete
    2. I totally appreciate all the comments, it was a true honor to be listed among your favorite artists. p

      Delete