Monday, March 03, 2014

Redemption Stories Series with Guest Artist Grace Carol Bomer

Redemption Stories Monday: Over the course of ten Monday's  I will be welcoming 10 guest artists as they share a story of redemption from their own life or work. These stories may be a broad overview or observation, or they may be very specific, deep and personal. The post may be very short or very lengthy. I have left the specifics up to each of the ten. View images of their work as you read their words, and bios. Be sure to check out the links each one will provide to learn even more about them and their work as an artist. 

Today I am so pleased to have guest artist, Grace Carol Bomer joining us. Grace is a painter from North Carolina whose style is exactly what I dream mine would be, if only I could paint. I deeply resonate with the overarching theme of redemption she presents in her work, as it is the central theme I connect with through my own. I experience a visceral response each time I view Grace Carol's beautiful paintings. I've been an admirer of her art for quite some time and was thrilled when she accepted my invitation for this series. Please join me in a warm welcome to artist Grace Carol Bomer as she shares with us her story.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Crystal, for inviting me to share my redemptive story.

But it is not about me. It is about the Grand Redemptive story found in the Scriptures – God's love letter. My statement reads, Grace Bomer's concern is the human condition surprised by the grace of God. It is “this grace in which I now stand” (Romans 5) and work. My artwork is a token of thankfulness, an attempt to fathom this redemption and to make visible the invisible; to glorify Christ who holds the visible world and the invisible world together. He is Spirit and flesh and He is Word of God and Image of God.

The cover image on my website is currently touring venues in Spain with ARTE-FE. It illustrates the centrality of redemption in my work. It shows a figure spreading a covering. The red paper in the center symbolizes the blood of Christ. I painted the figure negatively over a surface of collaged texts. This relates to my statement that Christ brings together word and image because he is The Word and The image of God.

This God came into time and space to redeem a people for Himself. The text referenced in this painting is Ezekiel 16:7-8. Later, I passed by, and when I looked at you and saw that you were old enough for love, I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your nakedness. I gave you my solemn vow and you became mine,' declares the Lord God. (See http://gracecarolbomer.com/home.html to read the full statement.)

 Ready For Love 24 x 24 mixed media on canvas by Grace Carol Bomer

The next image is from a series called Global City Babel http://gracecarolbomer.com/section/297654_Global_City_Babel.html
It is an encaustic painting. It is about our brokenness after the Fall, and more specifically Eden. A snake skin is imbedded into the wax on the left and I have written the text across the horizon: "God put us in a garden," The Tower of Babel rests on the figure's shoulders. The title text Babel's Child is incised in a child-like manner across the bottom.

Babels Child 1 by Grace Carol Bomer

But God comes to us. He is the God who strives for us. He helps to heal and give meaning to our messed-up lives. The following painting began with the small etched image of Jacob wrestling with God - a photocopy from an old Dutch Bible I have.

Psalm 46 is about this God of Jacob and how he strives for us. I would like to insert it here to show how The Word influences my work. But read it or read my link about it. http://gracecarolbomer.com/artwork/2982373_Psalm_46_The_God_of_Jacob.html
It is through many divine appointments that God uses my artwork redemptively. Recently I spoke specifically about this painting to a large gathering – It was selected for a juried invitational show called Art of Faiths at Waterworks Visual Art Center.
Psalm 46 by Grace Carol Bomer
To see more artwork go to the various series on my Fine Arts link on my website.

Each series relates to redemption. For example Nets of God Series is an analogy between bird banding and God's redemptive choosing. (see poem), Vessel Series is about God's redemption of vessels (jars of clay) to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from me.) Bending To Love is his hesed love of redemption.

Prodigal God by Grace Carol Bomer
Bio
Grace is a native of Alberta, Canada. Her artistic career began in Kansas and continued in Asheville, NC, where she and her writer husband have lived since 1981. Grace received a BA in 1970 in Secondary Education in English and History and taught for six years in Canada, before she began studying and working professionally as a painter in 1976. Grace has shown nationally and internationally, most recently teaching and speaking at Luxan Academy of Fine Art in Shenyang, China. For a complete bio see her web site www.gracecarolbomer.com
Grace is currently working in mixed media, cold wax and oil. Her paintings attempt to resolve the dichotomy between word and image as she juxtaposes text and image and paint, making marks, layering, and stripping away, she searches for “the mystery” of a piece. Her work is often narrative and conceptually based on her biblical world-view. The poetry, allegory or metaphor in her work allows the viewer to glimpse of “the mystery hidden for ages,” and the transcendence of an eternally relevant story.
Her work has been called "a silent form of poetry," by the Asheville Times and in the words of Hans Rookmaaker, "a form of play rejoicing before the face of God.”

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I was recently remarried and the theme of my wedding was "A Redemption Story". I'm living it and profoundly aware of it every day. Blessed. So blessed! love seeing other artists creating from their faith and experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful way to celebrate and honor your marriage Angie!. I am also living and profoundly aware of this type of redemption. Many blessings to you and thank-you for taking the time to read and leave such a lovely comment!

      Delete
  2. thank you so much for sharing Carol's work with us Crystal! How profound and moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Peg! Thanks for stopping to read and look at her work and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  3. I am SO enjoying these redemption stories - are you sure we can only see 10? :) I love Grace's connection between image and the Word! It is exciting, and affects me profoundly, to see and hear how she and others are expressing their faith and world view in their art. It inspires me and gives me hope about my own fledging art. ~ Karen

    ReplyDelete