Friday, March 28, 2014

Found Object Friday with Guest Artist Kariann Blank

Found Object Fridays: We artists love our collections don't we? Even as a child I remember foraging through flea markets and looking for special trinkets that caught my eye. Going for walks, to this day I find myself scanning the ground looking for interesting bits of metal or unique rocks to add to my collections. Long before I knew what I would be doing with them, I collected objects that pulled on something inside of me. As an artist I was thrilled to find there are others who love and collect little oddities and curiosities too. 

Over the course of ten Fridays I am honored to introduce ten different guest artists who will share some of the objects they love. You may recognize some of these names, while others may be new to you, each one is somebody whose style I admire. Check out the photos of their found object-and in a virtual show and tell, read about how it caught their attention and what they plan to do with it. Then check out their bios and links to learn more about each artist. . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kariann is the author of a very popular blog called Daily Poetics in which she showcases things that catch her attention on the internet. It is a dreamy ethereal blog that you just can't help falling in love with. Indeed it is like a dose of visual poetry. I was facebook friends with Kariann for quite some time before I connected her with her blog. She is humble and soft spoken and a wildly talented artist with an eye for composition and beauty. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kariann Blank's Found Object 

In high school, psychology class, we were taken on a fantasy journey. Eyes closed and we entered the woods ... deep into the woodland we walked and eventually on our journey, came upon a cup which we were to describe ... Well, this tiny porcelain crackled cup I found at a garage sale, and years later it was that very cup I envisioned in class (the cup represented ourselves) ... I fell in love with it's symbolism and metaphor as who I am and what I long for. Imperfect, capable, and devoted with aching heart to everything flawed and honest.
I planned to wear it on a frail chain around my neck and then it broke - the handle. I love it all the same. I love the cracks, the flaws, the dirt and grit. I love ... this ... and know it wants to be loved. Like all of us do.
The lead seal was simply interesting to be / snipped it off of some plumbing in my home. Feels like a seal of official earnestness and un-deniability. It's all about flaws, vulnerability and the beauty or grace in that.

4 comments:

  1. thank you for showing her, Crystal, most beautiful work and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Wanda!

      Delete
  2. I love all of your posts, Cyystal, but especially this one. I have followed Kariann's blog for more years than I can count but never knew anything about the woman behind the blog, so this was particularly fun and informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lesley. I followed Karianns blog for years as well. Simply love the beauty I find there.

      Delete