Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Studio Spotlight With Guest Artist Sue Stover

Over the course of ten Wednesday's join me in welcoming 10 guest artists as they share a glimpse into the spaces that foster their creative process. One of our ten guest bloggers referred to the artist's studio as "Sacred Space", and indeed it is just that for me. Working in the silence of my own studio is the place I am most easily able to connect to my Creator. As our guest artists share images of their own sacred spaces, they tell a bit of their creative process through the answers to four simple questions. Read about the artist in their bio and then explore the links each one will provide to get to know them a little more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week we are getting a peek into a very special studio - exquisitely talented artist and fellow EncaustiCamp Instructor Susan Stover. It wasn't that long ago that Sue made the switch from daytime career path while moonlighting as an artist, to full time artist status, and not a moment too soon, as she is already making leaps and bounds into the world of professional fine arts. Come with me as we take a peek at her studio.


Sue Stover's Studio Interior

What is your favorite time of day to create and why?
Morning is my favorite time. The day is new, my husband is at work and my daughter is at school. It’s a quiet time when I get to reflect on the previous days work and I’m fresh to start again.

What do you love most about your studio?
I love that it is a separate building but still at home. I don’t get distracted by housework by being in the house and I can shut the door and walk away when I’m done. I love that it is just my space to mess up and fill up however I want. I love that I have a big window that looks out over our garden.

What can always be found in your work space?
Music. I also play the fiddle and love the instrumental old time style. It was traditionally dance music and is generally very upbeat. Some of the waltzes are really beautiful too. Other than music, you can usually find my dog, Lola, a chocolate lab in my studio. She likes to lay around nearby.

What medium would you want to learn if time were no issue?
If time were no issue, I would want to learn metalsmithing. I’ve always been interested in jewelry and would love to learn some of the finer techniques of working with metal.

Sue Stover's Studio Exterior

Bio

Susan Stover received a MFA from California College of Art in Oakland, CA and a BFA from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio with both degrees concentrating in a combination of textiles and painting. Among her professional experience is faculty at U.C. Davis, lab technician at CCA, and 10 years at Jacquard Products, a manufacturer of textile pigments and dyes. She has presented at CHA and NAMTA trade shows, the International Encaustic Artists conference and teaches workshops nationally and inter- nationally. Her paintings are in many private collections and her work was included in Wax and Paper Workshop by Michelle Belto (North Light Books) and Gathering Clouds - A Magazine of Contemporary Art. Susan maintains her studio in the northern California wine country where she resides with her husband and daughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment