Friday, March 21, 2014

Found Object Friday with Guest Artist Mary Beth Shaw

Found Object Fridays: We artists love our collections don't we? Even as a child I remember foraging through flea markets and looking for special trinkets that caught my eye. Going for walks, to this day I find myself scanning the ground looking for interesting bits of metal or unique rocks to add to my collections. Long before I knew what I would be doing with them, I collected objects that pulled on something inside of me. As an artist I was thrilled to find there are others who love and collect little oddities and curiosities too. 


Here is where I say that over the course of ten Fridays I am honored to introduce ten different guest artists who will share some of the objects they love- but what I keep forgetting to tell you is that I've actually invited 11 artists to participate! The eleventh artist hails from South Africa and is author to a very popular blog called Art Propelled, Robyn Gordon. And though it is not Robyn's feature week, I wanted to make sure her name was included on the list and that she got the shout out that she deserves!

While you savor the anticipation for Robyn's feature week, allow me to thrill you again by introducing artist Mary Beth Shaw. I've been a fan of Mary Beth's abstract paintings for longer than I can remember. I'd managed to catch her showing in the Chicagoland area a few times - so Mary Beth had dubbed me her groupie. But her work is so beautiful and inspiring, how could I not want to be? Here we are back in 2009- (gosh I wish I could still fit in those jeans!)- Check out her found object, read about what she loves about it and then be sure to check out her bio and links to learn more about Mary Beth. You won't be sorry you spent the time with her!
Me with Mary Beth Shaw in front of her beautiful work
Here's Mary sharing her found object:

What is it? 
Trio of Leaves and Acorn caps



Where did you find it or purchase it?

I found the leaves in Florida several years ago and I can't remember where I found the acorn caps but it has also been several years.

What caught your attention about it? 

The color of the leaves is so beautiful, their veins are quite interesting. The acorn caps, I honestly can't remember but they looked lonely without their acorns and I like the way the caps are so big on that tiny limb. Three is a number that frequently recurs for me. 


 
How will you use it? 

I don't imagine I will use them in anything, but I just enjoy looking at them. I keep them in my office in a dish (made from marbled paper) that I bought in Florence, Italy. 

BIO
Mary Beth Shaw works in Mixed Media because she loves to play with art supplies. The owner of StencilGirl Products, she uses stencils on anything and everything. She is author of  Flavor for Mixed Media and Stencil Girl, both published by North Light and is a Columnist for Somerset Studios. She is also a certified Golden Artist Educator.  Living in Wildwood, MO with her husband and three cats, Mary Beth is passionate about every moment of life.

Links below;

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love finds from nature. Thanks Mary Beth and Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun these are! I'm always picking up little bits and pieces, too....

    ReplyDelete