Friday, May 23, 2014

Found Object Friday with Guest Artist Robin Gordon

Found Object Fridays: We artists love our collections don't we? Even as a child I remember foraging through flea markets and looking for special trinkets that caught my eye. Going for walks, to this day I find myself scanning the ground looking for interesting bits of metal or unique rocks to add to my collections. Long before I knew what I would be doing with them, I collected objects that pulled on something inside of me. As an artist I was thrilled to find there are others who love and collect little oddities and curiosities too. 
Over the course of ten Fridays I am honored to introduce ten different guest artists who will share some of the objects they love. You may recognize some of these names, while others may be new to you, each one is somebody whose style I admire. Check out the photos of their found object-and in a virtual show and tell, read about how it caught their attention and what they plan to do with it. Then check out their bios and links to learn more about each artist. . .
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Robyn Gordon is actually my eleventh artist for the Found Object Friday series and it's an absolute joy to have her join us here! I may have stumbled on her work on Tumblr or another blog, I don't remember exactly when or where. All I remember is being absolutely enthralled with her wonderful carvings. Robin is an artist in South Africa and has found a way to incorporate the found objects from her region into her work that at once creates a sense of ancient tribal artifacts with a touch of modern aesthetics. Read on to hear about the treasure that Robin shared with us, but first, I can't help but show you an image of her outstanding work to illustrate the setting within which her found object might be used. . .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Artist Robyn Gordon
What is it?
I think they are fragments from a Leatherback Turtle shell.

Robyn Gordon, Found Object
 
Where did you find it or purchase it?
My husband found a large pile of turtle bones on the beach when trudging back after a long day's fishing. He was laden down with heavy fishing bags and these pieces were all he could manage. He had hoped to find the skull but it seemed to be missing.
 
What caught your attention about it?
I love the jaggedness and the scrubbed, weathered surface of the fragments. It amazes me that several of these pieces would have interlocked  to form the underside of the shell.
 
How will you use it?
Initially I thought I could use them for tribal necklaces for my carved totems but I'm loathe to spoil them in any way. I might use one piece in a carved sculpture but the others are just lovely to look at .

Robyn Gordon, Found Object 

 
Bio
I am an artist living in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa.  As a child, growing up on a farm, I loved to touch and feel nature in my hands. The smoothness of acorns and pebbles, the roughness of pine bark, the hollowness of birds nests .... anything tactile under my fingertips. At a  young age I commandeered my mom's unused carving chisels and I found that I could create many tactile qualities in the wood by chipping, gouging, whittling and sanding. Now I carve wooden totems and panels incorporating found objects.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I love your work Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Striking! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. rpobyn is an old blog friend. the many found treasures that pass thru her hands always make me wish I could be walking with her! thank you for including her! she led me to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always delight in seeing what Robyn does with her found objects. Can't wait to see what she does with these pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Robyn and her work. Not surprised she highlighted such a unique and cool found object!

    ReplyDelete