Monday, June 08, 2009

Marvelous Light

And here it is....I've had fun the past few days playing around with this new body of work and posting pictures of the progress. As promised, today I present the first finished piece in this series of mixed media brooches, "Marvelous Light", which comes from a song of the same title.


Three simple elements; steel, paper, and encaustic wax are brought together to tell my story. A story you may well feel belongs to you as well.

A story of a life spent running in circles, repeating cycles of painful relationships, feeling lost, misunderstood, sometimes seeking isolation as a protective measure, sometimes no matter where I turned or who stood before me, I just felt alone, inexplicably alone.

The wearer of the brooch, in this story it is me, is represented by the small black circle. The outer circles are the world and the universe around me. The line is the hand of God reaching down.

On yesterday's post showing the work in progress a comment was left by the author of Sunshine Dew saying in part: "Initially it reminded me of those old models of the planets and how they rotate around the sun." which pleased me as much as Catherine's comment from the day before that it reminded her of a cell. I intended to evoke both an awareness of the universe as a whole and the feeling of autonomy within, as with a single cell unit, through the organic shape and design.


Into the darkness God reached his long arm of love down. He lifted my face to His radiant love and showed me my connectedness, not only to Him, but to the universe around me.

He showed me that trying to run from the past only kept me repeating the very cycles that were causing all the pain in the first place.

He took me by the hand and promised to walk with me through this season. One where I will turn and face the past, feel it, learn from it, and finally be able to release it, to be healed from the hold it has had on my life.

It is a shadow that has always been with me, but now I lift my face and see His Marvelous light and I know that I am free.
Into marvelous light I'm running,
Out of darkness, out of shame.
By the cross you are the truth,
You are the life, you are the way

My dead heart now is beating,
My deepest stains now clean.
Your breath fills up my lungs.
Now I'm free. now I'm free!

Lift my hands and spin around,
See the light that i have found.
Oh the marvelous light
Marvelous light
Lift my hands and spin
See the light within...

From Marvelous light by Charlie Hall


To purchase visit OPF Studio at Etsy.

5 comments:

  1. Holy cow--this is so gorgeous! Love the piece and love the story/inspiration behind it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are so lovely, crystal. thank you for sharing your process and the meaning of the symbols. the words touched my heart when i needed them most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal...I'm speechless right now after seeing your beautiful work, and it's meaning written sooo beautifully. You are amazing!!!
    Hugs,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find this series to be so fascinating. These are really special objects that seem to come with a history all their own.

    ReplyDelete