Sunday, July 23, 2006

Tree of Life 3



Based on John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.", I see the tree as representation of the cross that Jesus was nailed to as payment for our sins. In his death our sins are paid for and through his resurrection we have eternal life, thus the cross is ultimately "The Tree of Life".
This is the third installment of my tree of life series. It has been created inside the box from an antique cabbage shredder. The images in the back are from an 1880s geography text book and a 1930s edition of Grays Anatomy. The tree has been crafted from rebar wire and is adorned with a bit of antique rosary. It has been secured to the box with antique nails salvaged from an old box camera.

8 comments:

  1. Crystal, this is so nice. I'd love to see pictures of your first two trees....are they on your flickr site? Can you post them here?
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. your trees are YOUR signature :) Love them..hope to own a tree of yours one day.
    xoxo
    joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you for such support and encouragement!
    Cara, unfortunately I've had a major computer crash this week and lost my entire picture history of my art, including the previous two trees in my series. I'm running a recovery program now to see what I can save, so say a prayer for me!
    I love hearing from you both!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wow, wow! I lOVE your work!!!
    These pieces are just amazing! Would you mind if I add you as a link in my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, this just gives me chills! Truly beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this 3rd tree Crystal! I drooled over one on ebay - they are truely mesmerizing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:02 PM

    Crystal...

    If you'd like pictures of the first tree, I'd be more than happy to take some shots and send them on to you.

    It hangs in our dining room and brings a great deal of joy and compliment.

    XO,
    Beth

    pee ess...does your move to etsy mean you will no longer be selling on eBay?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth that would be awesome! Thanks so much!
    Pee ess...I'll still be listing auctions over at ebay, just giving the etsy thing a try for the store.
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete