Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Studio Spotlight with Guest Artist Tonia Jenny

For the next ten Wednesday's join me in welcoming 10 guest artists as they share a glimpse into the spaces that foster their creative process. One of our ten guest bloggers referred to the artist's studio as "Sacred Space", and indeed it is just that for me. Working in the silence of my own studio is the place I am most easily able to connect to my Creator. As our guest artists share images of their own sacred spaces, they tell a bit of their creative process through the answers to four simple questions. Read about the artist in their bio and then explore the links each one will provide to get to know them a little more.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This week I launch the Studio Spotlight Series with guest artist, Tonia Jenny. I first connected with Tonia somewhere in the wide world of social media 4 or 5 years ago where we clicked over common interests and styles. Passionate about social-justice issues, Tonia is a natural encourager. She has a way of recognizing the strengths of others and motivating them to rise to their fullest potential. As an acquisitions editor for North Light Books, Tonia has been able to put these skills to good use scouting for talented artists. And as a Life-Purpose Coach she is taking the advice she has so genuinely shared, and realizing a dream of her own. Join me in welcoming Tonia as she shares her studio space and insight into her creative process:



What is your favorite time of day to create and why?
I would guess my Golden Hours are between 10:00a.m. and 2:00p.m.. I’m a morning person and there are many things I love to do in the earlier parts of the day. However, my left-brain is also at its best in the morning—sometimes a bit too much so for intuitively making art. After 3:00p.m. my brain begins the process of shutting shop for the day, so conjuring up any mental energy—creative included—becomes more challenging and I’m more prone to turning out things I’m unhappy with.

What do you love most about your studio?
That it’s in my home (easy to access) and that it’s truly my space (it can be cluttered if I want to let it be).


What can always be found in your workspace?
At least one clear ruler (a quilting type, or one with a metal edge for cutting), a craft knife, a pencil, cutting mat and tape measure.

What medium would you want to learn if time or money were no issue?
I have two directions: One, I would really like to learn more of the textile and fiber arts: dyeing (I’ve dappled just a little, but would love to explore natural pigments), batik, and spinning. I’d love to learn the art of large loom weaving. Two, I’d love a bit of formal fine jewelry training.


Bio:

Tonia Jenny is passionate about helping other people recognize their gifts and talents by supporting them as a life-purpose coach. She is the acquisitions editor and senior content developer for North Light Mixed Media. A mixed-media artist and jewelry designer herself, Tonia has authored three North Light books: Duct Tape Discovery Workshop, Plexi Class and Frame It!. When she’s not busy making art, cooking, stitching, reading or exploring new ways of looking at the world, you can find her on her bicycle or on Instagram.
(Crystal's note: You can also visit Tonias blog here)

5 comments:

  1. Loving the Connection this is great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Crystal, thank you so much for sharing. Tonia is the greatest!
    roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great Idea for a series!
    Studios are Sacred Spaces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fun addendum to this series would be to follow your lead from the introductory post, and share pictures of our studios or creative spaces and answer the questions on our own blogs! Then share links!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Dia - it is so special to be invited into an artist's personal space. Thank you, Tonia!

    ReplyDelete