Monday, February 17, 2014

Announcing Monday Guest Artist Series: Redemption Stories

"This Very Thing" 6" x 6" Collage work by Crystal Neubauer

Looking back over the posts on my blog of the past several years, I can see a marked progression in doors that have opened and exciting opportunities that I've been able to participate in. I can't help but be hit with a wave of gratitude when I look at my career in this way. And, though I have been practicing the art of collage for going on ten years now, it has only been within the past few that I have had clarity on what it is about the art of collage that draws me in; why I choose the materials I choose to work with, and what the overarching theme of my work is, and really always been. It is the story of redemption, both on a grand and universal scale and in a very small and personal way. 

These bits and scraps of other peoples discards have come to represent so much more to me then just a medium to express myself. They tell a story of triumph and deliverance. Each scrap, if found on its own, may look to be just an ordinary slip of paper, or worse, dirty and worthless trash, but when brought together on the canvas they form a complete picture. The individual pieces each contribute to the larger story and the redemptive beauty can be seen.  

I can remember, as if it were yesterday, sitting in my booth, as an emerging artist, at the American Craft Expo when my eyes were opened to this. Not one piece or bit can be removed from the composition without affecting the entire picture - just as each piece of our past contributes to the whole of who we are today.  

Be sure to head on over to my blog here to read the full story of that profound day, but first I want to introduce ten artists who will be guest blogging for the next ten Mondays. I admire each one of these artists for their unique style and voice and have been touched by their work, words and so much more. Each one has agreed to share a story of redemption from their own life or work. These stories may be a broad overview or observation, or they may be very specific, deep and personal. The post may be very short or very lengthy. I have left the specifics up to each of the ten. 

Oh my! I can hardly sit still in my chair! So honored am I that each one of these very diverse and amazing people said yes! I've linked each one up to their blog or website below so that you can get an idea of the excitement to come. Be sure to come back each Monday, starting next week, as the series begins. 

And as if that isn't enough excitement - stop back by this Wednesday and Friday. I have two more series to announce, each one with another set of ten amazing guest artist contributing! 

Let the fun begin!
Jan Avellana - February 24
Beth Morey - March 10
Amanda Jolley - March 17
Kelly Williams - March 31
Trish Baldwin - April 7
Sue Simpson - April 14
Robin Norgren - April 21
Tessa Emie (Moore) - April 28

14 comments:

  1. Crystal--I was thrilled to be introduced to some wonderful new (to me) mixed media artists on the list you posted today. But I really wanted to thank you for including the link to your powerful post about what you experienced at the American craft expo a few years back--that was an unexpected blessing to read! Looking forward to the upcoming redemption series. Thanks, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you were blessed by the post Linda. Thanks for taking the time on my blog and for letting me know how it impacted you!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:12 PM

    Thanks for sharing this Crystal. Inspiring me to find my voice as an artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♥ That means so much - thank you!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - how thoughtful of you to say so!

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing more about these artists...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be so awesome. Each one has such a unique style and voice! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I looking forward to seeing these wonderful artists!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited to see everyone's work! let the inspiration begin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited as well Peg!

      Delete
  7. This series is going to be very special. I love the fact that I know some of the participating artists but that many are new to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its always fun to discover artists we haven't seen before - I'm certain you won't be disappointed! Thanks for stopping by the blog Seth!

      Delete
  8. I am so excited by the two series you have announced - and looking forward to seeing the third series Friday. As another child of the King, who is just learning to find/trust her artistic wings, I was touched to read your post about the message you received at the Craft Expo. Thank you for sharing that intimate moment with us! ~ Karen

    ReplyDelete