Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Long Time Coming


The focal point of this assemblage, the collage, has been in the process of being "done" for well over 6 months now. I reworked it several times before feeling somewhat satisfied, but even in this state felt it wasn't quite done and it languished on the work table (among a few dozen other collage works in similar states of undoneness).

I really don't remember why I entered the studio yesterday or how I came to be sawing these pieces of wood. It was one of those "Aha!" moments as I stood in front of my display of finished pieces, some already framed with reclaimed wood. My eyes fell on this collage and suddenly I could see it in my mind and there was this force that could not be contained. I worked in a frenzied adrenaline state until it was finished. All thought of my "to do" list out the window.

It was finished in less then an hour. But it had been a long time coming.

In the satisfaction of seeing it completed, I reflected on the many stages I've seen it in. Honestly, at one point I threw it into my redo pile to scrape clean at a later date. It didn't seem possible to salvage and better to accept that I needed to let it go.

Many times it takes coming to this point of surrender, letting go of control, to see something you've worked for and wanted for so long come together. Change can't be forced. Sometimes the harder you try to "make" something happen the more elusive or impossible it becomes. To admit that you are powerless over another person, a relationship, even your own character flaws can seem like giving up, but it gives change the freedom to do what it needs to do, unhindered by our finite vision and limited views.

A seed languishes under the soil. It seems dead. There is no outward sign of the change that is taking place. And suddenly a flower bursts forth, overnight. But it has been a long time coming.


There have been times that I thought I couldn't last for long
but now I think I'm able to carry on
It's been a long time coming, but I know a change is gonna come. ~ Sam Cooke

13 comments:

  1. I can't explain how your words have touched me today sweet Crystal. Thank you. Love, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so beautiful...
    ~v~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this post and loved how you explained about how to let go. It's sage advice. Love the project.
    Colette

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the finished product. And your post is so profound as we enter this holy week. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing. love this piece.

    This sentence "it was finished in less then an hour. But it had been a long time coming."

    When people ask "how long did it take you to make__?" it's not usually a straightforward answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the piece, Crystal & thank you for the reminder @ the power of letting go & being with what it. And then how it can transform. :-)
    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blown away! Just what i needed to see and hear today... Beautiful art and beautiful words - thank you for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words touch me very much. I am so glad you gave this piece life.
    It is beautiful.
    Katelen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally in love with this piece! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? As you mentioned, art ... life often has to reach that point of surrender .... the letting go of control before one finds clarity and everything miraculously comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love when a moment like that comes. And this assemblage rocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, crystal, i love this one. lovely! and your writing, as usual, so, ahhhhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely mesmerizing!! xo

    ReplyDelete