Thursday, April 01, 2010

Everything and Anything

 

Growing up in the 60s and 70s messages for girls were mixed. Most of my friends moms were stay-at-home moms. I remember mine taking night classes when I was in grade school, but during the day she babysat a little boy whose mom went to work in stylish office clothes. She seemed exotic and intelligent and foreign to me. And maybe just a little "bad" like those women who got divorced.



We girls were told we could be Anything we wanted to be when we grew up. But somehow "Be Anything" translated in my mind to "Be Everything for Everybody". 


Maybe it was those early mixed messages. I remember seeing a plaque somewhere in my grandmothers house: "A man will work from sun to sun, but a woman's work is never done." and grandpa and dad and all the uncles being served their dinner on TV trays by the wives as we kids lined up to help ourselves at family gatherings. That message seemed clear. Serve the husbands first, let the kids eat and then clean up after everyone. 

What a relief to finally realize not only can I be anything, but I really don't have to do everything. And I can explore and take my time and make a mess and even ask somebody else to help me clean it up.

Everything and Anything is an assemblage framed collage that explores the idea of femininity, beauty, and the role women play in the home, society, the arts, and religion.

6 comments:

  1. Love it! And love the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, to Carissa there... I looked at these pieces and said to myself I just love the look of them all and then I hit comment and see she has said it first.. so chimming in right after her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I say ditto also..The story I remember the same at holidays. Men at first and then the kids. Then the ladies would eat and clean up.
    I am so glad that does not happen now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Your framed collage is wonderful. I love the textures and colors and your post is very inspiring. It also tells a very common tale that so many of us have experienced. The world has seriously changed since our mothers and grandmothers were born.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:10 AM

    Thank you so much for sharing the story and your art. It really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete