Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Blame It On Art

I've been away from the blog for some time, but not away from Art. I've started back to school again this semester but this time I've decided on a goal. I finally know what I want to be when I grow up and am taking my first academic steps toward that goal. I say my first academic steps because it isn't just about training for a career. Its more like acknowledging who I already am.

Art Therapist. Using art as a tool to aid in healing is something I've been doing since I was a little girl. The times I felt I was most comfortable being me was when I was creating. Art gave me a voice. A way to express myself. A way to release whatever energy I was storing inside.



I left it for a while, dabbling in crafts and being creative was always somewhere in my life, but the dream of being an artist had nearly been forgotten. But Art would not let me forget it forever. Because Art wasn't just a dream of the fairy tale kind. Art was my insides pressing and spilling out onto a canvas and speaking words I didn't have any other language to speak. And it was about learning to listen and to trust those words. And it was about healing.


It is exciting to hear myself say it. Art Therapist. I know that I have a long way to go before it is really a title I can use. Starting with just a handful of college credits and working toward a Masters in my mid-40s requires some juggling. Ratio of time on work versus proportion of creative needs being met, balanced with school and homework and then factor in the e-mails, posts, and social networking. It is a little overwhelming as I get the hang of it.

I might drop the ball a time or two while I learn my way around. So if you notice that my posts are a little more sporadic and you don't see me update my status as frequently as I used to or I'm slow responding to your kind comments. Please don't blame it on me. Blame it on Art.

13 comments:

  1. Sweet Task-Mistress that she is, I do!
    (and when I say I do, I mean it in the way that everyone will be throwing rice momentarily!)
    Keep doing what you're doing ...on all fronts.
    One of my beliefs is that the dreams in our hearts are there because they are ALREADY made manifest.
    We just have to walk toward & into them.
    Lovin' the way you're walking, Crystal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal--This is an incredible decision for you to make. I went back to school in my LATE 40's to seek a degree in art and received a BA when I was 52. It was an incredible experience but if you have a great support team, you will manage just fine. Some things fell by the wayside, other things grew exponentially. I love how your work is about ratio and proportion. You've already been pondering it, haven't you!! Will you see Nina Bagley at Portland? She does some great jewelry. I wish that I could come up that way for a class. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your passion will drive you and I feel confident you will make this happen :-) Good luck my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in my early forties and taking another artistic career path. I like how you put it though...like you always knew you were going to be creative, but was not sure, until now, how to frame it in a title like: Creating For Healing. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is just perfect for you! And there are much more important things than replying to online comments or updating blogs (at least I hope so, or I am in BIG trouble-lol!). What a wonderful way to combine your passions and truly help others while still being true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful choice to make. Glad to see you making your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your studies. I was a resuming student too and completed an MSW. One of my internships involved play therapy. I am sure you will find it rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're going to be SO good at this! I'm glad to see you going for it, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm new to your work and your blog (I found your blog when exploring the possibility of adding encaustic to my mixed media collage). I've been a graphic designer all of my adult life, but felt the pull to make work for myself and am now transitioning toward making art full time (at 52). It's exciting to find our passion, isn't it?! My mother died two years ago, and I made several collages after her death that were most certainly Art Therapy to help me process the loss. It was a wonderful way to work through my feelings and to be able to share them with others. I think you'll find your new career to be very fulfilling on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish you well Crystal. What an exciting direction your life is taking.

    I was delighted to read the Cloth Paper Scissors article about you today. We don't often see this publication here but I found a copy by chance at a book shop and pounced on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. crystal, i am so proud of you for listening to God when he spoke to you and for you jumping in with both feet!
    you are following my dream.
    you, go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is AWESOME, Crystal! Keep following HIS leading. Hurting people NEED Art Therapy. It really does bring healing.

    Wishing you well, dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How great you are going back to school. I have a friend doing the same and she is 52. If I could, I would too. Good for you Crystal!!!

    ReplyDelete