Monday, July 06, 2009

Serenity Prayer - Art as Meditation

Art serves so many purposes, not only in the life of the artist, but also in those who will view it and reflect on what it stirs in their soul.

One purpose art serves for me as I create, and later as I reflect on what it is that has come from inside of me, is a vehicle for meditation and reflection.

During the creative process I work silently, moving items around the canvas as pieces of a puzzle. I know instinctively when something fits. A voice comes from within that affirms the placement or leaves me unsettled about it. Sometimes it will stir with words, a song or a phrase, or scripture will begin to repeat over and over in my head.

I have been learning to trust that voice, both through the artistic process and in life. To know it is okay, to leave something as is and wait, or to take action to change it.

As I listen and reflect and meditate on what I am hearing deeper things begin to stir and answers begin to form. Clarity and understanding are mine in those silent moments.

Trust it. Trust that voice. Trust the Spirit inside.

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

Serenity Prayer is an encaustic wax collage created from antique papers and oil pastels on cradled canvas. It is framed in richly patinaed reclaimed wood from an antique toolbox, hardware still intact. To purchase, e-mail me at crystal_opf@comcast.net or visit OPF Studio at Etsy.

1 comment:

  1. wonderful post and beautiful piece

    i often feel like the act of creating is a mediation/prayer too. An offering of gratitude

    ReplyDelete