Tuesday, July 07, 2009

You Are God and I am Man - Art as Form of Worship

Art or creating art can go beyond the obvious aesthetic purpose or creative outlet to becoming a form of worship. A song, not formed with words but with an inner vision.

There is a stirring that happens when I begin to create. The pictures that form as I piece together a new collage or an assemblage are a song. Each seemingly insignificant scrap becomes an instrument or a voice, part of an eternal choir pulling from deep within a hidden place in my soul.

As the instruments begin to tune there is a release of control to the higher power of God. I listen, my heart and ears turn expectantly. I am not creating alone, I am a vessel, as he pours his song of love into me I pour my praise and adoration for him out onto the canvas.

This collage has gone through several transformations, each time I thought it was done and was well pleased. The second to last transformation I thought was perfect. Beautiful really. Unlike anything I had done. There were only a few elements then and it had a simplicity, a tranquility that brought the feeling of peace. Of rest. All I needed to do was add the frame. The brown would be a nice compliment to the green hue I had managed to bring out in the perfectly smooth encaustic.
But one wrong move and I ruined it. The finish was ruptured and in the process of trying to fix it I ruined it again. I was frustrated, I swore, I nearly cried as I saw the mess it had become. The more I tried to repair the worse I made it. And then I remembered. This, even this, was His to control not mine. I had to let it go. Let go of the vision I had for it and release myself to become ready to see the vision He had. I was ready to acknowledge again ~ Yes, You are God and I am Man.

"You Are God and I Am Man" is an encaustic wax collage created from antique papers, fibers and hardware on canvas. It is framed in richly patinaed reclaimed antique advertising yardsticks. To purchase, e-mail me at crystal_opf@comcast.net or visit OPF Studio at Etsy.

5 comments:

  1. this is simply wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this..I believe that all creations are from some place deeper than the surface...and I love what you have written here, as well as the work.
    Supria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand.
    This is a wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do truly understand..We sometimes have to let go to let God and then realize if we would do that all the time..Life would be so much more..
    Katelen

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Art or creating art can go beyond the obvious aesthetic purpose or creative outlet to becoming a form of worship. A song, not formed with words but with an inner vision." This is exactly how I feel about the act of creating, Crystal. It doesn't come from me but rather, from my Muse. And what a beautiful form of worship it is!

    ReplyDelete