Tuesday, December 11, 2007

On the 6th, and the 7th, and the 8th, and the 9th, and the 10th, and the 11th Day of Christmas!

They say time flies when you're having fun, well I know it sure does when I have to work all week! Suddenly we are on the 11th day of Christmas and I haven't had a chance to blog since day 5.
I'm not complaining too much, this is the way I get to start each day~
On the 6th day of Christmas Kelly Snelling gave to me....
This beautifully wrapped present.
I swear some are just too beautifully wrapped to open, but somehow I find myself ripping into the paper anyway!
And glad I am, that I did, because this handpainted ornament was waiting for me inside! There are so many layers, this picture just does not do it justice. The colors are rich and vibrant and just a bit mysterious as you look you are drawn deeper and deeper. There is antique hymnal sheet music and so much detail went into each one of these ornaments, you really have to pay Kelly's blog a visit and read her generous tutorial.
Kelly, I will cherish this ornament. Thank-you so much for putting so much of yourself into it~I love it!

And speaking of love.....It was love at first site between this little guy and me. Before the package was even opened his eyes found mine.

How could I resist? I knew they were made just for me!

On the 7th day of Christmas I had the great pleasure of opening this vintage paper mache-like ornament by Lou McCulloch. I have been a long time fan of Lou's assemblage's and altered art. Her work has been published in many books and other publications. I couldn't believe my luck at winding up in this group with Lou!

I have a feeling this is one ornament that won't be put away with the Christmas tree this year. Thank-you Lou!

On the 8th day of Christmas I woke to find this fabulous fabric ornament by Pilar Pollock. This is another ornament that I had to look and look at, finding all the layers and techniques used simply mesmerizing.

First of all Pilar got my attention with the handpainted detailed and delicious paper used to wrap the gift. You just know when so much care goes into the outside, something wonderful is waiting on the inside!
And then there was Pilar's use of the Mary and baby Jesus image on her ornament. The reason for the season.
Richly textured and detailed, and yet quietly moving. Thank-you Pilar, this ornament thrills me!


On the 9th day of Christmas...a vintage angel assembled by sweet Sally Turlington.

Sally has a way about her and her work that just makes me feel cared for. This piece was no exception. Sally took the origin of the song "The 12 days of Christmas" and found that the "9 ladies dancing" were supposed to represent the 9 qualities of the fruit of the Spirit, which are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Each one of the ornaments Sally made represent one of those qualities, mine is Kindness, a good reminder to me to remember to be kind through the Christmas season and all year long.

Thank-you Sally for this sweet angel. I will think of you each time I see her!

On the 10th day of Christmas, Jackie Allison gave to me....


The coolest mix of found objects on my tree! Jackie, you are a woman after my own heart! I love found objects, especially the kind that were objects of ordinary daily life from days gone by. Included in the menagerie are a vintage brass laundry tag, an old key, and a little spoon. Inside the spoon are the words "all hearts come home for Christmas". So true!

Thank-you for pulling my heart towards home with this wonderful ornament Jackie!

And finally I'm caught up to today, the 11th day. And another package that is just too scrumptious to open.

JoAnna Pierotti has a knack for pulling simple items together just so. I look at this photo and I can smell cookies baking in the oven, feel the warmth from the fireplace, and see the love in each little sparkle of the snowflake. And I know that it was a heart of love that was put into this, because that is just the way JoAnna is.

Once I was able to, oh so very carefully, open this gift up and set all the little treasures used to wrap it with aside, I was delighted to find this altered baby doll ornament inside! JoAnna is famous for her altered dolls, especially for the technique that she developed for the face.

Be sure to visit JoAnna's blog as she gives a tutorial on the doll face and has some great pictures of all the ornaments before she sent them out. Very generous!

Thank-you JoAnna, I've wanted one of your dolls but could never afford them, now I have one that will always hold special memories!

Another treat showed up in the mail. This one was an ornament I made for the group swap in the middle of summer and sent off with the rest of the group for publication in Somerset Studio. I was blessed to find that not only this ornament, but the box I wrapped it in AND my ornament from last years swap were all included in the article by Jenny Doh.

Well I'm off to bed with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head. Can't wait to see what is in store on the 12th day of Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. kelly snelling8:48 PM

    i am so delighted that you liked your little bird. it makes me awfully happy to think of him hanging in your home. Joy to you, crystal at Christmas and always. xo-k

    ReplyDelete
  2. All so amazing - very lucky indeed.

    ReplyDelete