Saturday, April 21, 2007

Early in the morning... I will celebrate your light



I've been reflecting on this piece and what God might be saying to me through it all week, and as promised I am sharing with you where He has led me.

It may seem strange to you that I feel God is speaking to me in this way, but I don't find it strange at all. God is everywhere and in everything. He has designed each of us so uniquely and when we seek Him with all of our hearts, the Bible promises we will find Him. Being able to create art is a gift from God, the ultimate creator, and to use that gift to glorify Him and to allow myself to be drawn closer to Him is my gift to Him in return.

I think God knows I am a visual or "hands on" learner. I read His word, which is good, but in order for it to stick I have to really experience His word. I love when He allows me to do this through art.

There are times when I know from the point of conception what God is speaking to me as I work on a piece, other times He begins to whisper to me as I am putting together the finishing touches. Sometimes as I step back and look at something that I've just finished His word flashes across the lense of my eye and I have an AHA! sort of moment, and then there are times when God wants me to slow down and think about something and He prompts me with a thought over and over again.

This time that thought was in the form of a song, some of you may recognize the line from "God of Wonders" by Caedmons Call:

"Early in the morning, I will celebrate the light"

At some point I realized it wasn't just a song I couldn't get out of my head, it was important and I should pay attention. I kept thinking about the line "Early in the morning" and then my thoughts would turn to the number 6 on the necklace, same as the 6 am flashing on my alarm clock each morning as I smack it into submission and snuggle deeper into my blankets.

I reject the idea as just plain silly at first, yeah right, the 6 is the time God wants me to get out of bed in the morning. Very funny. Really meaningful, now even I think I am crazy!

But then he brought me to this verse in the book of Mark: "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed."

And then this in Luke: "and all the people came early in the morning to hear him at the temple."

And I finally had to resign myself to the fact that, yes, He wants me to get my butt out of bed in the morning and really be with Him before I start my day. No more of this glancing through a paragraph or two as I dry my hair before I leave for work and then complaining about how empty I feel by the time I get home. hmmmmmmm....

At least one reader, Theresa of Maggie Grace Creates, took me up on my challenge to find out what God might be saying to her and this is what she wrote: "I immediately thought Joshua 6 (6th book 6th chapter) so I went and looked it up. I am struggling with a wall at work, and this is the story of joshua taking over jerico with only quiet action and God's guidance. Just the message I needed today."

Thank-you Theresa! Thinking of the book of Joshua made me think of the verse "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15. I also thought of Rahab, the prostitute, who's life was spared when Jericho was handed over to the Isralites. The army knew not to harm her or her family because of a scarlet ribbon she had tied in her window. Placing that ribbon in the window took great courage for this woman, in effect she was saying "Today I am choosing a different life, today I choose to serve the Lord".

Looking again at the piece I made, I see the pink glass beads as a symbol of that scarlet rope in the window and my own proclamation to serve the Lord. I love how the wire around the lower tear shaped bead almost has the appearance of being a crown of thorns.

Lord, today I choose to come back to you. Thank-you for reminding me of your great love through Jesus sacrifice on the cross, and thank-you that as I come to you early in the morning you meet me with your love and stay with me throughout the day.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me of this verse: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15. It is just what I needed to begin work on a piece that has stumped me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how God speaks through the most insignificant of details. As a cancer survivor and mother of 2 girls, I have many blessings in my life. I chose to remain positive through the cancer journey and I believe with all my heart that God speaks continually to all those who are aware. "God, I am trying to be continually aware."

    Crystal - your work at this time is incedibly profound and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the soft subtle pink in this piece Crystal...adds just the right amount of color and warmth!

    ReplyDelete