Saturday, April 21, 2007

Beer Lahai Roi



#5 in my "Garments of Praise" series, this piece has been created from the end cap of an early 1920s piano roll, an old MOP button with thread still attached, glass vial, beads, antique fabric, tintype, my trusty antique cuckoo clock chain, steel & brass wire, and brass sheet metal.

The piece is titled "Beer Lahai Roi" which means "well of the Living One who sees me".

I've decided to dedicate it to another blogger, Natalie, from "Life is a Collage" after reading of her sadness over the way a few kids have been treating her son. She shares with her readers the heart of a mother who is unable to prevent an injustice in her child's life and the true broken heart she feels and desire to protect him from this pain.

"Beer Lahai Roi" comes from the 16th chapter of Genesis after Hagar, the pregnant servant of Abraham, runs away from Sarai, Abrahams wife, who has been mistreating her. I can imagine the injustice she is feeling and the desire to protect her unborn child from what she must have known in her heart would be a painful future for him as an illegitimate child. She knows she is not equal to Sarai, she is just a servant, a nobody. How many times did she feel that her life didn't matter to anybody? How often did she feel invisible, overlooked, taken for granted?

As Hagar lays by a well God comes to her and encourages her to go back. He gives her a blessing and she names the place of the encounter "Beer Lahai Roi" or "Well of the living one who sees me". She must have felt His love that day, as an unmarried servant on the run, naming Him "the God who sees me" speaks of a woman who felt invisible, who's feelings did not matter, who could not prevent an injustice. But she knew she mattered to the one who matters the most, the living God and He let her know that her pain was not overlooked by Him. She had finally felt "seen".



"If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water." John 4:10




"God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them" Acts 15:8



"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9



"She gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: "You are the God who sees me" Genesis 16:13

Thank-you Lord, as a wife, a mother, a step-mother, there are so many days when I feel that nobody really sees me. I am truly grateful that you really are the God who sees me.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my...
    I have often thought about how Sarai must have felt. It has been on my mind a lot lately. How interesting to read about her here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love it Crystal! The spirituality of your pieces makes them so much more meaningful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal...your work absolutely amazes me everytime. Your words are so true and so pure. Between your beautiful pieces and your posts, I find myself taking a moment (or more) to pounder on it all. You truly have a beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh! I love this piece! ..I love the other one too! You are soooo talented and your work is awesome!!

    XX
    Judy K

    ReplyDelete
  5. erika t3:44 AM

    Wow, fantastic work as always! You have the gift of finding the beauty in things others wouldn't look twice at! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete