Saturday, September 30, 2006

In His Image Reflections on Self

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him, male and female, he created them." Genesis 1:27



Its quiet today. My husband is away for the weekend. The older kids are scattered about, the younger two are at the football field waiting to see if the thunderstorms will let up and allow the Homecoming game to continue. The only noise is the clacking of my cats feet as he paces the hall.

I sit in my studio staring at this collage on my wall and reflect on this mornings quiet time. God has been bringing back the message to me over and over that I was made in His image.

This message has meant different things to me at different times. He has affirmed me and shown me that He chose me. I went through my "I am a child of The King" phase. I need to add a crown to this collage to remind myself. It still awes me to think that He knew me before birth. That He knows me more intimately then I know myself. That He really and truly cares for me and what I am going through. That He wants to have a relationship with me. It is real. He has helped me through so much. I've seen miracles and answered prayers, big and small.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life."



It is the ultimate sacrifice to give your life for another. It helps me to remember the sacrifice Jesus gave for my life. The love He showed was sacrificial. He gave it all. The love He teaches is a sacrificial love. Its so different from what the world teaches. That to truly love means you have the other persons best interest at heart, in spite of how you're feeling. Its not about me.

It's the kind of love that enables a mother to get up in the middle of the night and nurse her baby after only an hours sleep. Its the kind of love that enables people to open orphanages for babies suffering from aids. To hug and love another human being covered in sores from leprosy. And as silly as it sounds, sometimes it is the kind of love required to clean the bathroom one more time, or even to put a meal on the table when nobody seems to notice.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. So do not be afraid, you are worth more then many sparrows" Matthew 10:29 & 30



He created the entire universe, the earth and everything in it and still He has control of it all. In all its complexities. Look at how complex our own human bodies are. God is into details. And the details are all about love. His kind of love.

Today He brought me to Galatians 5 and these specific verses. I'll leave you with them:

"You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Crhist, you have fallen away from grace."

"...the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love."

"The entire law is summed up in a single command 'Love your neighbor as yourself'"

5 comments:

  1. Powerful words, Crystal! Regarding your large collage, fantastic! What I would give for a large anatomy page like the one you have! I did a similar type piece for a commission a long time ago...reminded me that time goes so fast! Seemed like yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely words at a needed time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm absolutely in love with this collage Crystal! Every element of it points to our Maker. What an uplifting message!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding us! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crystal, this is a very powerful collage and such a tribute to our dear maker.... wonderful!

    ReplyDelete