Sunday, September 24, 2006

Oh For Arts Sake!



I had to force myself out of the art rut I've been in, so this week I determined to make art "just for arts sake". You know what I mean? Just for the sheer pleasure of it, no plans or deeper meaning. Just playing with my favorite stuff.

So I made this little assemblage. (Although it seems to be speaking to me and wanting to say something about words. The scripture "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14 keeps running through my mind):



Jealous of my teeth? You can get your own set at my Etsy store today!



It's not your grandmothers biscuit cutter no more!



Then I made this:



More teeth, I know you want some!



And that little tiny tart tin can be had from my Etsy shop too. (I've darkened mine with Jax patina solution.)



And I was on a roll so I made this:




I love these antique yard sticks. I never pay more then $1 for them when I find them at flea markets and estate sales:



Tweet tweet too sweet:



And this was a lot of fun, another biscuit cutter bites the dust (for arts sake!):



The license plate isn't too terribly old, but very fun to work with. And that antique lens with the red label still attached was an exciting find. Perfect way to finish this piece!



I guess I can safely say I've broke out of the rut. I just needed to give myself permission to create just for the sake of creating. Which reminds me of a verse that has inspired me so many times:

Exodus 31:3 "and I have filled (her) him with the Spirit of God, with knowledge, skill, and ability in all kinds of crafts"

This desire I have to create is God given, how can I say no to that?

All of these pieces will be listed on either Ebay (for the adventurer) or Etsy (for the must have it now types) later so keep checking if your interested!

7 comments:

  1. Very kewl Crystal! Art you can really "sink your teeth into!"...sorry, I couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rande7:51 PM

    You have been on a marathon! All you new pieces are fab. Was wondering how you were going to use those teeth. Very neat ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is WOW... breaking "out of yor rut" is putting it mildly! These pieces are all awesome (though I must admit the little birdie one is just precious!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never considered using teeth in my work. Hmmmm. Fantastic assemblages! I know exactly what you need, making art for art sakes. Seems that I always have another reason to create as well and very seldom is it for me! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a set of choppers! Great artwork Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal, you have been busy. These are amazing and you know how much I love your work. I love the one with the license plate. Is that the one you bought when we were at that antique store? And I love that birdie...make more :)
    hugs
    joanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are absolutely fab, Crystal, I just had to comment! I recently completely a piece of assemblage and I'm hooked and definitely want to do more, seeing your pieces is inspirational, thanks for sharing! :o)

    Maz

    ReplyDelete