Friday, February 20, 2015

Startled Out of Complacency - Moving on Up

"Mirror Mirror" mixed media Collage by Crystal Neubauer
Last month I shared with my newsletter readers how I had been humming along working on a series in the studio without realizing how much time had passed. It's easy to lose track when you're engaged in something you love, and these past few years I have certainly been engaged in a life and community I love. So much so, that I can hardly believe it's been 2 1/2 years since the events that brought us to this place. But finding out our time living in this home is coming to an end has served, once again, to startle me out of complacency.

My husband and I have long been intrigued at the idea of living in the city. We seriously considered it at one point, but the timing just wasn't right. So when our landlords told us they needed their house back, we joked about having a city adventure. But something in the joking of it started to stir within us, and as happens when those stirrings start to come, we got confirmation everywhere we turned and we knew we had to follow it.

And so we are off! Trading in our spacious 4 bedroom house in the suburbs for a tiny, no frills hi-rise apartment in Hyde Park. Our master bedroom will overlook Lake Michigan and looking out the window of the spare where the desk will be, offers a birds eye view of the Art Center just down the street. Some of the goals for this adventure of ours are to grow closer together and more fully experience the arts and culture community of the city. I've already been invited to participate in a group show of 10 Chicago artists and am looking forward to even more.

Back on this journey of having just enough light for the step I am on, my studio will remain right where it is; I'll commute a few times a week and for scheduled workshops, but I'll be keeping my heart open for whatever comes next.

It was by faith that Abraham obeyed when God called him to leave home and go to another land that God would give him as his inheritance. He went without knowing where he was going. ~Hebrews 11:8

4 comments:

  1. Crystal! This is fantastic!!
    I'm sure it will be a huge adjustment space-wise, but I can feel, from here, the oppenness & radiance that is manifesting for you both with ths move.
    I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your new adventure, Crystal. I love seeing your artwork, and the piece in this post is no exception. The clean-lined, minimal beauty you create with unloved cast-offs is a lovely metaphor for life, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best to yOU!
    Your work is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds very exciting, Crystal! And congrats on the upcoming art show.

    ReplyDelete