Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dwelling Places

It has been a whirlwind of activity here at OPF Studio with many fun and exciting things going on that I can't tell you about yet, but soon...

Meanwhile I have once again turned my attention to my first love, collage, and am so pleased to begin showing and listing a new series of works that have been mounted on archival mat board ready to be framed to suit your decor.

One of my favorite pieces yet began as one of the most boring and dissatisfying from the series. As I finished up a few pieces this one just looked bland and I kept pushing it aside knowing it wasn't complete.
One night on an after dinner trek through the neighborhood I came across this scrap of copper with a hole punched through. The next day I was cleaning the bowl I use to melt my encaustic wax and pulled out a piece of antique text to absorb the last few drops. As I tore it into strips I noticed it was a poem and in that moment the collage became what it was meant to be. I love these seemingly random, but connected moments. It is the voice, the storyteller, the Spirit within that guides me.

"And there were temples on the heights
And homes beneath the fruited trees
And never had I seen before
Beings so beautiful as these..... they laughed, and they loved"

from "The Tryst" by Harriet Prescott Spofford


~My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest~ Isaiah 32:18

"Dwelling Places" is an encaustic wax collage created from antique papers, textures and found copper scrap on gesso board. It is nicely mounted on a standard 11" x 14" mat and is ready for you to frame to fit your own decor. To purchase e-mail me at crystal_opf@comcast.net or visit opfstudio at Etsy.

6 comments:

  1. I love old worn torn papers, and old found things and poetry-- I used to do a series of collages with poetry passages myself-- so I love this piece. That is the beauty of collage-- you add and subtract and add until something emerges that you might not be able to completely plan for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this one - rich color and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I had moments sort of like that.... when you found that poem and picked up the copper with the hole. With me, it was always finding a way to incorporate left over materials that I thought I would never use again, from my latest decorative painting projects! I guess that is our contribution to recycling or something!

    You have great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this piece so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful collage. Loving the color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful collage and beautiful writing. I love the way you say it is the "storyteller within." I love His stories.

    ReplyDelete