Monday, June 09, 2008

Nesting Instinct

This week, back at home full time, working in the studio as often as inspiration hit was such a blessing. I hadn't realized I was creating around a "theme" until I started to list the items for sale.

Everything I've finished is either bird or house themed, or both. I think it's my nesting instinct kicking in after being out in the workplace for so long.

The Woodpecker


Handcrafted collage created on an antique leather book cover from the 1870s, the collage is designed to give the impression of viewing the bird through a window as he works away at an old tree outside.

The collage is supported by a wooden back frame, which is covered in antique text. No need for framing, it is ready to hang!

The other elements used are an antique bird image from a 1919 Children's Encyclopedia, portion of an antique cabinet photo card, antique sheet music cover, cloth from the spine of an antique book, an antique sleeve from an old tintype photo, and mica.

For more information about this collage or to purchase be sure to visit my Etsy shop OPF Studio here.


The Teachings of Spring

A handcrafted topiary style house assemblage created from antique & vintage elements. Very shabby urban chic.


The focal point is this antique bird image salvaged from a 1910 dictionary and mounted on an antique brass doorknob.

Other elements include antique text, ads, cloth salvaged from an antique book, metal architectural element, and brass stamping from an antique drawer pull.


The title comes from an 1870s edition of the Sunday Magazine.


Antique lamp parts and bobbin with thread still wound serve as the base. For more information about this assemblage or to purchase visit my Etsy shop OPF Studio here.


Goodness and Love

Inspired by the verse
"Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever." Psalm 23:6, this vintagy cottage style house topiary would make a great house warming gift for summer.

It is handcrafted from antique architectural salvage, antique text, beeswax, oil crayons and more. For more pictures and information or to purchase visit my shop OPF Studio here.

Now back to the studio for me and until next time, don't forget to send me an e-mail or leave me a comment to sign up for my newsletter for great discounts in both the store and the studio and a chance to win one of my collage ephemera packs!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Crystal,

    I absolutely love your new designs. Your descriptions fit perfectly, they are absolutely gorgeous, rustic, urban and chic! I adore the nesting and especially the woodpecker. Woodpeckers are dear to my heart remind me to tell you the story sometime.
    Keep up the awesome work!!!
    xoxoxo - Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLOOOOOO there! It;s been a while! I'm so happy you can get into the swing of things full time. Everything looks incredible (as always). AND a BIG congrtas on your new shop!

    ~Jes
    http://sweetpeas.motime.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, love um. Your words are always so fitting. You go girl! It's so good to "have you back".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore the first piece - they are all stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love love love your arty creations (always have) - everything you touch oozes creative gifting

    love & blessings to you in your new shoppe :)

    I Timothy 1: 15 ~ "It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all."

    joy in the journey,
    katey~D
    www.blueyeduckstudios.blogspot.com
    www.blueyeduckstudios.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel a little nosey trawling through your archives, kind of like peering into the bathroom cupboards when youve been invited into someone home you dont know very well. LOL.

    Anyway, these textures are scrumptious. Since photography is my main medium i often crave tactile art things I think.

    ReplyDelete