Friday, March 22, 2013

The Issue Is Resistance....

Collage and Encaustic Composition- Class Sample by Crystal Neubauer
 
Last night I found myself pondering, and asking a good friend, what it was that made me freeze every time I approached a certain goal of mine with any serious intent of taking steps to achieve it. "Sounds like resistance" she quipped "You should get your copy of 'the War of Art' out and read it."

And so here I am this morning, not even 10 pages in, recognizing it. Yup, it's resistance alright. Resistance is what causes us to step back when everything in us tells us it's time to step forward. It's the thing that makes a hundred million excuses to do anything and everything except the thing that we really want to achieve. It is so much easier to resist the changes necessary to improve my life, or achieve my wildest dreams and most deeply felt desires, than it is to take the action steps to get me there.

Fear is a crippling disease and the only way to overcome it is to walk directly toward the thing we are afraid of and live through it. The worst thing about the way resistance causes me to stop taking steps toward my big dream is realizing this freezing has caused me to spin my wheels and not get anything else done either! Thank God for the well timed wisdom of good friends to keep me on track!

3 comments:

  1. OH YEAH! Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Go you! Forward motion, baby!!! :) this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish I lived in your area. I love your work.
    marianna
    artandvintagelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wish I lived close by so that I could hop on over to do the workshops.

    ReplyDelete