Monday, February 16, 2009

A New Song In My Mouth

I've been doing some research on the use of encaustic wax in collage and just had to give it a try. I'm starting out simply using the medium to bind and provide texture for my collage elements, but hope to venture into adding color to the wax soon.

My first offering is titled "A New Song In My Mouth". As I continue to learn and discover who I am, I begin to recognize certain patterns that I have been repeating in my life. Funny how I've known things about myself, my past, my childhood, and my choices in life, but never really recognized how ingrained these things are in my daily thoughts, the way I view the world, relate to those most important to me, and the choices I make each day.

The series of circles across the top of the canvas represent these patterns or cycles in life that we repeat without even thinking about it. They float over a background of an antique paper book cover, the rich color and textures of the background represent the varied paths of a life lived, but still tied to these patterns or sub-conscious habits.

Across the bottom of the canvas are strips of antique canvas from the spine of an old book along with the interior mesh tape covering of the spine which is nicely textured by the glue used to bind it all in place, this brings to mind the origins or beginning of something that was meant to be good, before time and chance and circumstance entered in.

But as I recognize these thought patterns, habits, cycles of choices passed along from generation to generation, I know it isn't really who I am or who I was meant to be. I know that God has plans for me. For my good and not for my harm. I choose to think on these things. I choose to trust him that I can change - not on my own or by my own power - but by surrendering to His. I choose to work with him to make the changes in my life that will heal and set new healthier thoughts, habits and cycles.

Notice the circles that represent these patterns have been cut from 1870s handwritten sheet music. They represent recognition, hope, change, new habits, a new song.

"And He has put a new song in my mouth..." - Psalm 40:3

To purchase visit OPF Studio at Etsy.

10 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I found you through OWOH and I too am experimenting with encaustics. I've done several and now I want to incorporate the demar crystals with the wax, so I need to find them to keep going.
    Love this and look foward to seeing some more of your new work
    Dawn WIlson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful piece! I had a fetish for using beeswax and bookpages in uni (far too many years ago) -it's addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Meaningful. Thank you! "I know that God has plans for me. For my good and not for my harm. I chose to think on these things..." Amen, sister. You've spoken of me too! Amen~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is wonderful, I love the mix of encaustics and collage and your words... so glad to find you! Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when I have time to visit your blog. So beautiful...so inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I always love reading your thoughts and inspiration behind your works. I have found that through my art, I reveal so much more to myself. I think the creative exploration inward, that search for our personal symbols and meaning really open ourselves up even more.
    Lovely use of wax. A fun way to add color to the wax at this stage without investing in encaustic paints is to bring oil sticks or oil paint into the process. Or even oil pastels. But I prefer oil sticks and oil paints. (This is how I first started to experiment with encaustics several years ago)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Dear Artist Crystal,
    this peice is outstanding but I'm sure you know that.

    We are artist also. At least that's what they call us. You may even know us. We'd like to invite you to a member of our very Private Club. We're very selective and only an elite few are welcome on our hallowed grounds. We pick you.

    We even have a little 'chit chat'. It's rightfully called Dante's Pub. But when your enter BEWARE! You are entering the abyss of the artist mind! You may not find your way out.

    You're welcome to watch from afar while drinking your brew or pull up a chair and join us for a little chat. Be sure and register and then log in. After all, this is a very private club. We don't allow just any wanderer in our midst.

    Don't dilly dally now! It wont cost you a pence. Check out The Artist Challenge and Dante's Pub- that is if your daring and think yourself worthy to be amongst the souls we've claimed?

    Farewell...until we hear from you,
    Master Mike and the Pub Wench

    Artist Challenge- http://www.theartistchallenge.com/
    Dante‘s Pub - http://www.theartistchallenge.com/art-forum/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate your openess with yourself and your process. I think your first try with encaustics is a great sucess and I can't wait to see what you do next with the medium. : D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! This takes my breath away... very lovely piece. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crystal, your encaustics are wonderful. I love the texture and color as well as the bits from antique books. Touches me. HOpe you do loads of these. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete