Monday, March 24, 2008

The Graduate

Call me one proud mama....my son went off and joined the Army National Guard and just graduated from basic training at Fort Benning, Georgia.
That's Jason right in the middle.

Jason on the left. He'll be 26 this week!

Before he enlisted.
And Graduation day.
We drove all the way down to see him for two very short days. Graduation day, 3-20-08, was 5 years to the day that our country went to war in Iraq. He signed on the dotted line knowing the chances are high that he could be deployed, but he is determined to make a difference in his life and in the world around him.

He left Fort Benning for Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama on Friday. With one of the highest scores on an entrance exam his recruiter had ever seen, Jason qualified for just about any of the training programs available. He chose Ground Radar Surveilance Repair. He'll spend the next 48 weeks at Redstone Arsenal, Alabama and Fort Sill, Oklahoma in one of the longest AIT programs there was to choose from. The average program is around 6 weeks. After that he'd like to pursue an engineering degree.

Do I sound like I'm bragging? I am.
I had Jason when I was only 16. Being the son of a teenaged mom isn't the easiest thing in the world. Life has been tough for him, for us both. We did some growing up together, or maybe just at the same time.
I lifted these words of Jason's from his My Space profile: " I've been on one hell of a journey for the past 25 years, I've made my fair share of bad decisions, but I have no regrets. Sometimes I struggle to reconcile the person I was with the person I am today; though I am constantly reminded by people much wiser than myself that the most important thing is becoming the person I was meant to be."
Still have some growing to do, him and I, but God is in the growing business and I'm keeping my eyes on Him.
God bless you Jason, Happy Birthday and Congratulations!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Crystal! You have every right to brag and be proud. You have an incredible son who loves our country and is willing to serve it well. Please thank him for me! Congratulations to you and to Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal...this post just warms my heart. You have many reasons to be proud. I'm so happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless your son Crystal. I read your post with tears flowing from my eyes. Thank Jason for me for protecting our country and me.

    ReplyDelete