Sunday, October 06, 2013

Reaping a Harvest: Fall News

Couldn't Outrun Grace    by Crystal Neubauer
Fall is here and its reaping a harvest Thanksgiving is still nearly eight weeks away, but I am already counting my blessings. This year has been, hands down, one of the best I can ever remember, both on a personal and a professional level. Truly it feels as if I am reaping a harvest from seeds that have been planted long ago.

News From Annual Juried Show at Sylvia White Gallery 
The 6th Annual Juried Show at the Sylvia White Gallery in Ventura is underway and will be hanging through October 19th. I was thrilled to receive an email from the gallery manager saying that both of my works, Beethoven's First Symphony and Around the Mulberry Bush, were sold at the opening night reception! I am waiting on the edge of my seat to hear who Sylvia chooses for the three solo show awards. If you aren't able to stop by the gallery in person, you can look at the outstanding work in this year's show here.

American Craft Council Show Acceptance, St. Paul 
This is one of those long time dreams that proves persistence does pay off. After participating as an emerging artist a few years back in one of the nations top fine art craft shows, the American Craft Expo Show and Sale at Evanston, I knew this type of event was a path I wanted to pursue in earnest. Since that time I have applied to, and been turned down for, five different shows at that level. For just a slight minute this time around, I considered setting this dream aside, but something in my spirit told me that this would be my year, and indeed it is. I have recently been accepted to participate in the American Craft Council Show in St. Paul, to be held in April of 2014. I hope to see many of you there!

Local Opportunity, Annual Party at The Fine Arts Building Chicago 
And a little closer to home, I am super excited to have been invited to hang my work to show and sell during the Annual Party at the beautiful Fine Arts Building downtown Chicago, to be held during the Second Friday Open Studio Event on December 13th. It has been a long time since I've had an opportunity to connect with my local art friends and supporters, I am really looking forward to this fabulous party. Please do come out and join me if you can- I would love to see you there!

Not one, but two new books released! 
Being published is always a thrill and an honor, but having my work appear in two books being released within a month of each other is an over-the-top experience! First off, Incite Dreams Realized: The Best of Mixed Media has been released and my copy has just arrived in the mail. This book is a lovely hardcover edition CHOCK-FULL of sumptuous art images. You can head over to the North Light website here for a preview, including my entry, to wet your appetite, but if you are an art book lover you will want to own a copy of this book for your own collection!

Any day now I expect to open my mailbox to find my copy of The Mixed Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams From Over 40 Amazing Artists by Seth Apter waiting for me. I am really excited to have been selected to participate as one of those 40 (amazing? amazed, is more like it!), and along with several images of my work, you will find a tutorial on gluing by yours truly. Though I do not have this book in my hands yet, I know it is another one that you will not want to miss out on adding to your collection. Aside from being an outstanding artist himself, Seth already has a top-selling Mixed Media book under his belt and is known for finding the best of the mixed-media world and promoting them. This book is sure to be another hit!

And Speaking of. . .
Not one, not two, but. . . maybe one of the most exciting bits of news for me to share yet, and I'm so close to being able to tell you just what it is, but I can't say yet! I'm just going to go out on a limb here and tell you, it is another dream realized, and this time it will be by yours truly! ;-)

Don't Miss Out On Class Opportunities At Ephemera Paducah!
Classes are starting to fill and I am getting so excited to head out to Ephemera Paducah (Kentucky) in November. Ephemera Paducah is fast becoming the Mixed Media workshop destination of the Midwest and Southeast by hosting favorite artists from national art retreats, as well as showcasing local talent. Don't miss out on the opportunity to take back to back workshops, Intuitive Collage with Encaustic, and Encaustic Wax on Plexiglas. Each day is an independent workshop that can be taken and enjoyed as a single day of instruction, or at a discounted rate for both days. No supplies are necessary, just bring yourself, your creative desires and enjoy!

Darkness is Overcome      by Crystal Neubauer
Smalls are on sale for a cause! 
I've just uploaded images of twelve new small works to my website and will be extending the summer special rates through Sunday October 20th. All sales from my website in the next two weeks will fund an art field trip I am organizing to take eight students from my neighborhood to visit the museum at The Art Institute in Chicago. I have been opening my home studio to these boys and girls since moving into this home last year as a way to give back to my community and I have simply fallen in love with them. They are bright outstanding young men and women who I long to see reach their full potential in life. If ever you may have considered purchasing one of my works, this would be the time to make the investment - not only in art, but in giving the experience of art to a very deserving student!

Check out the small works available for sale here and take a look at my most recent larger works now available here. Thank-you once again for the support, encouragement and continuing interest in my work and my adventures as an artist!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Crystal! It's wonderful to read about your good news. Looking forward to Seth's book and reading your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on all those "wins"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a joy to read of your growing recognition and favor!
    You continue to inspire me with your life, well lived, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! All of this is so well-deserved. I can feel the joy leaping off the screen and am so happy that you are having such a fantastic year after all the 'gunk'.
    Thank you for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete