Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sweet Saturdays and Community

Mixed Media Collage by Crystal Neubauer

Saturdays have become my favorite day of the week, and yesterday was no exception. The workshop was soul satisfying, connecting with extraordinary talented women over art and soaking up the unique flavor of what each one brings to the table. I learn as much as I teach. The exchange of ideas, giftedness, openness and generosity that happens around the work table when art is the focus feels like community.

Coming home afterwards and watching the house fill up with our church community was icing on the cake. Sitting around the dining room table breaking bread together, worshipping, praying and sharing from the heart and from the Word while our hearts begin to be knit together by our mutual love of Christ and sense of purpose, I couldn't help feeling full to the over flowing.

This is the love of God in action. That He could take somebody as broken as me and put the pieces back together in such a way that I could never have even thought to ask for or imagine is nothing short of a miracle. It isn't a destination that I've arrived at. It is a journey that I must choose to get up and continue every day. And trust me when I tell you, I have been tempted to quit. Scared some days to take another step. So tempted to believe certain things could never change.

Jesus said to the paralyzed man "take up your mat and walk!". After 38 years of being lame he believed he could be healed and his life was changed. Essentially he was saying to the man, it doesn't have to be this way. The belief that you can never change is a lie. We all have our mats. What have you been lying in, accepting as your lot in life, that Jesus wants to heal you of today?

9 comments:

  1. Crystal,
    Every time I read one of your posts or even see a newly completed piece of your art, it makes me want to sit down for a long visit over a cup of tea. :) We're kindred spirits, I do believe...
    As always, thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to sit and visit over a cup of tea Helen. I do believe we would have much to talk about! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This is simply a beautiful beautiful post...thank you for sharing the word. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully uplifting post, Crystal! Love your heart and your art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you much for all of your sharing. blest be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for spending a moment to read and reply Donna. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. This is amazing! Love your stuff <3

    ReplyDelete