Sunday, June 03, 2007

Hangin Around in the Background





I decided my beatle and Cicada necklaces looked a little unfinished, so I've added background text from the same antique dictionary the images are from.






The 1909 dictionary is chock full of gorgeous illustrations and I've been spending some time choosing fun ones to create more pendants and other jewelry. The cover of the dictionary is absolutely disentegrating and leaving a powdery brown residue over everything it comes in contact with, but the pages are wonderful and I was happy to salvage it before it wound up in the trash heap, as it was nearly the end of the day when I found it sitting all by itself at an estate sale.

A few pages wind up in each of my collage packs along with many other wonderful findings from the same era. I've been really pleased with the packs that I've been pulling together this month and I've received nothing but great feedback on the contents from the buyers! If you are interested, be sure to head over to my Etsy shop today because I am starting to run low.

9 comments:

  1. sallyt-Imagine This5:51 AM

    Hi, Crystal. Golly, you are making such fun jewelry! Those insect pictures are divine. Love your necklaces using them. No one but you would have thought of that. (I'd love to see the cicadas come out, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the insect jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, crystal-love these scientific charms. The chains seem oxidized and old-very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. My name is Lara Berch. I have just launched a new website with step by step art tutorials. I was wondering if it's possible to exchange links with you. http://www.laraberch.com
    Thank you very much for your time.
    Sincerely
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lara I would love to exchange links with you. I am in the midst of a move and am just getting my internet hooked up this week. If I don't get your link up soon just e-mail to remind me.
    Thanks!!!!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you all for your lovely encouraging comments on my bug jewelry!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Crystal....Peeking into say Hi! I finally entered the world of blogs and am having fun finding everyone! I'd love to exchange links with you! Hope you day is blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Crystal, just dropping by to see what you have been up to! I miss you girls!

    I love all of your new pieces, and yes.....the background really adds to the whole image in these lovely necklaces!

    xoxxo ~Jes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing you story. It touched me so..My husband has "anger" issues to. On the 26 of August was our 12 year of Marriage. That friday I told him I was ready to leave. We went to church on Sunday Got Prayed for. I am standing in Faith that our circumstance will work out. and No matter what the Circumstance God is the Same! Now, I just need to dwell in the secret place!
    thank you for sharing your beautiful story, art, and God's truth!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete