Saturday, March 31, 2007

A month and a half! Really??

Really? I looked at the date of my last post and nearly fell off my chair! Has it really been that long?
They say time flies when you're having fun and there must be some truth to it. I have been busy busy busy with deadlines and projects and the past 6 weeks have flown by!

You might remember this piece, "In The Shadow Of God" made after taking Keith Lo Bue's workshop last May.



"Keep me as the apple of your eye, hide me under the shadow of your wings." Psalm 17:8

I have reworked it and added a found object chain and just yesterday submitted it, along with 2 other pieces, to the Woman Made Gallery for acceptance into the "Some Assembly Required" assemblage art show. I won't hear until the 18th of April whether my work was accepted.



Chain includes a 1919 red cross button, antique clock key, vintage bus token, religious medallian, some sort of souvenier stick pin (minus the pin), cuckoo clock chain, and iron wire. I've taken a stab at fabricating my own clasp and was quite pleased with the results.

I've made a lot of art since my last post. Here are a few more things I can share with you.

A page for a collaborative book to boost friend and fellow artist, Kelly's spirits during her battle with cancer.



"Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy." Psalm 126:5

Kelly is such a generous and caring person. Even in the midst of her own troubles she is constantly lending support and encouragement to others. Gods promise to return this to her with songs of joy is awesome.

I've spent a lot of time working on pieces for the book project I am so lucky to be a part of. I can't show you any of the finished pieces (you'll have to wait for the book!) but I can give you a peek at a few things that have occupied my time.

Antique key hole with the key hole cut out of it, waiting to be turned into....



oh no! You'll just have to wait and see! ;)

This project has really challenged me to grow. I've been honing my skills at wire working. Here is my first earring hook. And the finished piece? You'll have to wait to see on that one also! :)



Here is a commissioned piece I can show you. I still love to turn these antique letter stencils into necklaces. I've made this one with the customers own baby photo, but usually I use antique tintype's and photos. Check out my flickr albums to see more finished pieces.



I have 4 more on my work table that are just about finished for another customer and would love to make one for you too!
See the photo below that shows several in a partially finished state. Do you see one you like? Have an idea of how you would like it finished? what you would like it to say? or just want to be surprised with a finished piece?
Check out the listing on Etsy and let me know which one you are interested in. If you don't see your letter here, be sure to check with me. I just may have what you are looking for.

Well the day is already getting away from me. I have many projects and deadlines still to complete in the next few weeks and will try to squeeze in an estate auction tonight (always looking for good junk!).
Thanks for dropping by!





8 comments:

  1. SO GOOD to see you posting again! Love the pieces you've been working on Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. natalie1:19 PM

    I just love your stencil letter necklaces!! I had a whole box of these, but I don't know what happened to them. Waaaaah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was happy to see a post from you, and Love,love,love Ps. 17:8- I've used it in assemblages before too. Can't wait to see the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to see you back! And to hear that things are well. I was a bit worried about you and did pray for you and your family when I checked your blog. But I understand busy and we are not "married to" our blogs or owned by them, are we?

    ReplyDelete
  5. kelly snelling10:42 PM

    hello precious girl. first, thank you for your dear words about me. they brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. the Lord is so good to me and you, my friend, are a manifestation of His love. you are always such a blessing to me. thank you. and i know you will have your work accepted in the gallery show. your work is unique, meaningful, and beautiful. what more could they want?

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!...that was a long stretch without any eye candy! Glad to see yer back, postin pretty pics of your creations!

    Hope all is well,
    Kat :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! that was a long stretch without any pretty pictures of your creations!...glad to see you back posting great pics of your art!

    Hope all is well,
    Kat :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your work, assemblage rocks, I have many books on it but am yet to try it myself. even more I love that you are working with Bible verses! I will check back later to read more.

    ReplyDelete